Understanding nutrition and what a “healthy diet” consists of can be overwhelming. This is partly due to the fact that the science of nutrition is ever evolving, but mostly because messages are mixed and impacted more by advertising and marketing strategies than science. I thought I would take this opportunity to share some FREE resources and tools to use to assist in making the most informed choices possible when shopping (although it takes some preparing before you actually go to the store in some cases).
The most notable program we have in place in our stores is NuVal™. NuVal is a nutritional scoring system helps to cut through the clutter of health claims, pretty packaging, and celebrity testimonials that we are so accustom to. In case you are unaware of what NuVal is, here are the basics:
- NuVal™ Scores range from 1-100.
- The higher the Score, the better the product’s overall nutrition.
- NuVal Scores take into account more than 30 different nutrient factors, boiling them down into a single Score that you can find directly on our price tags.
- You will notice the Score in the double-hexagon NuVal logo in the upper, right-hand corner of the shelf tag.
- Click on this link for more information about NuVal http://www.festfoods.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=3293&Itemid=204
Our website (www.festfoods.com ) is also a great resource. Here you can:
- Browse our weekly ads and coupons
- Find recipes to help you plan your week’s meals
- Browse for nutrition-related information and additional resources on the “Health & Wellness” portion of the site
- Here you can find links to my favorite “Kids Nutrition” websites (there are teen and family sections on the websites too!) Follow this link for easy access: http://www.festfoods.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=3275&Itemid=198
- Ask me any questions you might have – from questions about nutrition facts information for items sold in our deli to those about following a low sodium diet – using the “Ask Our Dietitians” feature found here http://www.festfoods.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=3274&Itemid=197
Have a healthy day!